23 Feb 2018
February 23, 2018

History of the Rotary Bell

0 Comment

In 1922, U.S. Rotarians organized an attendance contest; the challenge was that the losing clubs would join in giving the winning club a prize.  The Rotary Club of New York City was declared the winner and to them was awarded as a prize a bell from a popular patrol boat, which was placed on wood that came from HMS “Victory”, Admiral Nelson’s vessel at the battle of Trafalgar.

Since then, the bell used in Rotary meetings started to represent, as on the ships, orders, discipline and the time to guide us through the weekly hour and a half meetings.  The bell informs us with its sound the beginning of the Rotary meeting, at which time people present should stand, same as at the end, in order to salute the national and Rotary flags. The gavel symbolizes the authority invested in the Rotarian elected to the highest position in Rotary, and through him, reminds those present of his authority.

When presidents transmit their positions to their successors at the end of their mandate, they give the bell their last hit turning the gavel over to their successor, symbolizing the transfer of authority.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


  • *