“Whatever rotary may mean to us, to the world it will be know by the results it achieves”
– Paul P. Harris
Our 1.2 million member organization started with the vision of one man Paul P. harris. the chicago attorney formed one of the world’s first service organizations , the rotary club of chicago, on 23 february 1905 as a place where professionals with diverse backrounds could exchange ideas and form meaningful, lifelong friendships. rotarys name came from the groups early practice of rotating the meetings among the offices of each member.
OUR ONGOING COMMITMENT
Rotarions have not only been present for major events in history we’ve been a part of them. From the beginning, three key traits have remained strong throughout rotary
We’re truly international. only 16 years after being founded, rotary had clubs on six continents. Today we’re working together from around the globe both digitally and and in person to solve some of our worlds most challenging problems.
We preserve in tough times. During WWII, rotary clubs in Germany, Italy, Spain, Austria and Japan were forced to disband, Despite the risks, many continued to meet informally and following the wars end, rotary members joined together to rebuild their clubs and their countries.
Our commitment to service is ongoing. We began our fight against polio in 1979 with a project to immunise 6 million children in the Philippines. By 2012, only three countries remain polio-endemic down from 125 in 1988.
Rotorians are your neighbors, your community leaders and some of the worlds greatest history makers
- Warren G. Harding, US President
- Jean Sibelius, Finnish composer
- Dr. Charles H. Mayo, Co-founder of Mayo clinic
- Guglielmo Marconi, Italian inventor of the wireless radio and Noble Laureate
- Thomas Mann, German novelist and Nobel Laureate
- Friedrich Bergius, German chemist and Nobel Laureate
- Admiral Richard E. Byrd, American explorer
- Jan Masaryk, foreign minister of Czechoslovakia
- H.E. Soleiman Frangieh, president of Lebannon
- Dianne Feinstein, U.S. senetor
- Manny Pacquaio, Fillipino world champion boxer and congressman
- Richard Luger, U.S. senator
- Frank Borman, American astronaut
- Edgar A. Guest, American poet and journalist
- Sir Harry Lauder, Scottish entertainer
- 15 Feb 2019Traveling along a One Way Street in the opposite Direction By Jürgen SassmannshausenThe memories of all 29 Founder Members may differ...
- 17 Jan 2019Congratulations to Waterford Rotary Club 50 AnnivesaryCongraulations to Waterford Rotary Clubon there 5...
- 13 Nov 2018Alanna Fusciardi Wallace Winner of the Rotary Youth Leadership Development Competition 2018Rotary Youth Leadership Development Competition In...
- 22 Jun 2018Prestigious Rotary Fellowship Award for Karl FitzpatrickAccomplished entrepreneur, Karl Fitzpatrick, was a...
- 23 Feb 2018History of the Rotary BellIn 1922, U.S. Rotarians organized an attendance co...
- 23 Feb 2018Wexford Food Family presents to the Rotary Club of WexfordLast Monday 19th February Paula Ronan of the Wexfo...
- 29 Jan 2018Guest speaker: Sean Kinsealla SVP & St Bridgets CentreSpeaking at today’s Rotary meeting, Sean Kinsella...
- 13 Nov 2017Rotary Youth Leadership Development CompetitionIn a competition, which recognises and celebrates...